Sunday, November 9, 2014

To market, to market

You might recall a couple of weeks ago I headed to Park Slope in Brooklyn and learned about the Farmigo company and their farm-to-table food deliveries.

Well fresh food has been on my mind, and yesterday I headed into Union Square Park for a trip around the regular Farmers Market.  It started as a Monday-only affair but has grown in popularity with vendors and customers alike.  These days you can find the open-air market in Union Square from 8am to 6pm every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

There's even a map of the market online so you can plot your adventure ahead of time, but there is something equally enjoyable about just strolling between the stalls and seeing what is available and fresh on the day.

With a cup of warm apple cider in my hands, I did exactly that.  I just wandered from stall to stall and marvelled at the bounty before me.  Every vegetable you could think of was represented - and the colours and varieties seemed endless.  But beyond fruits and vegetables, stalls were selling meat and fish, cheeses, wine, honey, merino wool, and even wheatgrass shots.

There were just as many tourists as locals at the market yesterday - and I could see some people there who were well-known to the vendors, chatting amiably and heading straight for the produce they wanted.  Regulars just doing their weekly grocery shop, I guess.  We are very spoiled in New York to have access to such wonderful farms and local providers a short distance away.  And don't forget that Union Square is serviced by numerous bus routes and subway lines, so you should definitely come to see the Market when you're here.