Thursday, November 6, 2014

A gem in the West Village

I don't get food cravings often but when I do, they are very specific.  Earlier this week I needed to eat a half-dozen natural oysters.  I was willing to be flexible on toppings - lemon juice or vinaigrette would be fine, but I just knew that oysters had to feature somewhere on my menu.

Now, I've been to a couple of good seafood restaurants in New York, but to satisfy this particular craving I was keen to try somewhere new.  Enter Pearl Oyster Bar on Cornelia Street in the West Village.  It's a vintage restaurant by New York standards - it has been going strong for 17 years already, but I had never been there until tonight.

I have to say from the outset, Pearl Oyster Bar suits its name from top to bottom - it is a real neighbourhood gem.  Walk by too fast and you'd probably miss the place, were it not for the crowds of people milling around and waiting for a table.  The bartenders that manage the beautiful marble bar at the front of the restaurant keep everyone well hydrated while they wait, so nobody seems to mind much.

Despite its obvious popularity, I didn't discover this restaurant by word of mouth; rather, I simply Googled "best seafood in New York", et voila!  The internet is full of diner reviews and articles singing the praises of Pearl's chef-owner Rebecca Charles, particularly for her lobster rolls which seem to be the restaurant's best-seller (and not just for lunch).  Rebecca spent some time in Maine and she's recreated the state's signature sandwich for hungry New Yorkers, but her repertoire also includes a number of other seaside-inspired recipes, including those in her fantastic cookbook, Lobster Rolls and Blueberry Pie.

The lobster rolls will have to wait for next time though, because tonight I only had eyes for six plump oysters, laid out on the half-shell and spritzed with a bit of lemon.  Blissful.  Main course were delicious pan-fried scallops with asparagus, mushroom and creamy mashed potatoes on the side.  And for dessert?  A quinelle (oh yes, I know my cooking terms) of the most decadent and rich chocolate mousse, with the lightest of whipped cream perched on top.  A perfect combination.

I can never say where my next food craving will take me, but I can assure you that I will come back to Pearl to revisit the very affordable food and wine menu, and to enjoy the friendly service that greeted me tonight.