Monday, September 8, 2014

We're all MAD here

Columbus Circle
The Museum of Arts and Design (MAD) sits right opposite the hustle-bustle roundabout at Columbus Circle.  As multiple subway lines roar underneath your feet, the vehicular traffic honks and heaves at ground level.  To the left of the Museum you'll see the shopping and restaurant mecca of the Time Warner Centre, including the gorgeous Williams-Sonoma store that I have forbidden myself from visiting (as I cannot resist buying armloads of things).  To the right, there's the Merchant's Gate entrance to Central Park.  Just watch out for the horse-drawn carriages at this spot - they pop up almost out of nowhere.  And if you come here at Christmas time, make sure you browse through the pop-up holiday market.

But at any time of year, the most striking thing you'll notice as you stand out the front of MAD is the giant statue of Christopher Columbus, which was dedicated on this spot on 12 October 1892 (the 400th anniversary of his arrival in the New World).  The Italian-American community donated the statue to the City of New York, which consists of the explorer posed on a column and surrounded by reliefs of his three ships.

But I didn't come to this part of the City yesterday morning to ogle Columbus Circle.  I wanted to visit the six floors of the Museum, and I'm so glad I did.

MAD was founded in 1956 to champion contemporary artists and artisans from a range of disciplines.  When you come into the Museum lobby, you're immediately struck by different colours and textures.  I am no art critic, but when I see shiny things suspended from the ceiling above my head, and long, glittery streamers affixed to the elevators, my inner magpie cheers and I know I have found a happy place.  And you know how I feel about the importance of a Museum gift shop.  The one at MAD is excellent and you can't miss it, because it's in the lobby too.


I wandered through all the Museum exhibits yesterday, including Re: Collection which actually ended yesterday afternoon, so I just snuck in!  That one showcased objects acquired during the 16-year tenure of MAD's Chief Curator Emeritus, David McFadden.  There's also Multiple Exposures (which goes to 14 September), which explores the fusion of jewelry and photography.  I was also blown away by the exhibition spread out over the fourth and fifth floors of the Museum, entitled NYC Makers: The MAD Biennial.  This exhibition goes until 12 October, spotlighting the creative communities across all five boroughs of New York City and includes the work of over 100 artists and designers.  Not only is there art on the walls, but it's hanging from the ceiling, spread out over the floor, and in all shapes and sizes.  I loved it.  And your visit ends on the very top floor, in the working artists studio.  If you're lucky to be there when an artist is in residence, you can hang out with them and ask questions about their work.  Such a unique opportunity.

I went a bit MAD with the camera yesterday too, and took pains afterwards to caption each photo as best I could.  Take a look at the album below, and make sure that you include the Museum of Arts and Design on your New York itinerary.