Sunday, August 31, 2014

It's a library, but you can't touch the books


For a book nerd like me, The Morgan Library & Museum in New York's Murray Hill neighbourhood is an absolute delight.  This isn't a lending library, but rather it's a wonderful museum that contains the enormous and diverse book and manuscript collection of American financier, John Pierpont Morgan.

The man we've all come to know as J.P Morgan commissioned the construction of his private library in 1903 and it took architect Charles Follen McKim three years to complete it.  Built of pink Tennessee marble, in the Italian Renaissance style, the building was situated adjacent to Morgan's home and it was an imposing and impressive addition to Madison Avenue real estate.

For many years the building was simply known as "Mr Morgan's Library" but is now officially called "The Morgan Library & Museum".  It was designated a national historic landmark in 2006 and underwent a careful restoration in 2010, just before I arrived in New York and promptly fell in love with it.  Every time I visit, I still love being in JP Morgan's private study, then passing through the beautiful rotunda, before exploring the three-storey walnut shelving of the breathtaking East Room (the original library).

Aside from some beautiful items from JP Morgan's collection that are permanently on display, including one of three of his copies of the famous Gutenberg Bible, The Morgan Library & Museum also has temporary exhibitions throughout the year.  I did zero research on these today, knowing that whatever the Library had chosen to exhibit would be wonderful.  Indeed, I was particularly taken with the "From Gatsby to Garp" collection, and the beautiful "Marks of Genius: Treasures of the Bodleian Library" (which I was not allowed to photograph).

I have probably told you a couple of times that I judge a museum or art gallery by the quality of its gift shop, and I certainly feel that the Morgan Library Shop is one of the very best in New York City.  I never walk out of this place empty-handed and today was no exception.  I am now the proud owner of a delightful (if not slightly morbid) book entitled, "Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to New York City Area Cemeteries and their Residents", and a fantastic little deck of NYC trivia cards called "What Happened Here?".  But if you're looking for books for children, or some great desk calendars, or beautiful photography books, the Morgan Library Shop can provide.  You will not be disappointed.

I know it's not as good as the real thing, but please take a look at the photographs from today's visit.  I've done my best to put descriptions against each one, so you know what you're seeing: