Sunday, April 13, 2014

Grab shell, dude!

Righteous!  Righteous!
You know that scene in "Finding Nemo" where the turtles take Nemo's Dad into the EAC ("East Australia Current")?  He starts off swimming along slowly, minding his own business. And then as quick as a flash, he's dragged into the slip-stream and moving at break-neck speed as the world zips by?  Well, relocating to New York can be a bit like that.  But I think the difference is, where Marlin's desperation to find Nemo meant he had no choice but to leap into the bustling current, we get the choice to hop in and out of the hustle-bustle of New York, and the City doesn't mind either way.

This is just my point of view of course, but I got to thinking more about it this morning at the second annual Downtown Literary Festival, hosted at the Bowery Poetry Club.  Until this week, I had no idea that the Festival or the Club even existed.  But on some random website or other, I saw the event advertised and it seemed an interesting reason to "grab shell" and jump into the chaos.

I fortified myself with much-needed caffeine from Think Coffee at the corner of Bowery and Bleecker, pretty much next door to Saxon & Parole (one of my favourite restaurants in the City).  The Poetry Club is only a block away from there, and I strode in with purpose, right on time.

The Literary Festival presents two full days of free public lectures, events, and book signings, spread out over several locations (not just the Poetry Club, but also the Housing Works Bookstore Cafe and the amazing McNally Jackson bookstore).  Saturday's program was largely for kids, so I let that one go and focussed on Sunday's program instead.  Rather than switch between the multiple locations today, I planted myself in a corner seat at the Poetry Club and settled in for a couple of hours.

Chickens are excellent poets.
I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this Festival.  Was it going to be full of weird, cardigan-wearing chain smokers talking profoundly about authors I'd never read (or worse, never heard of)?  Would I be expected to ask a question or make a contribution?  Please God, I thought, don't let there be any audience participation.

I needn't have worried at all.  The Festival was very much a casual affair, with a great line-up of really interesting, New York-focussed panel discussions and readings.

The very first panel discussion was entitled, Natives and Newcomers: How Open is New York City? and so it was really appropriate to my situation, and that of a lot of transplants here.  The panel discussion also compared and contrasted how welcoming New York is versus London, so again that was a hugely relevant conversation for me.

The second session was a selection of readings from magazine articles, which veered into "weird" territory in parts, but was hugely amusing in others.  I was really taken with the reading about the book by The Onion's Baratunde Thurston called, "How To Be Black" - and particularly the (black) journalist's experiences of reading the satirical book on NYC public transport during Black History Month in February, and the various reactions she got.

My final panel discussion for the day was entitled "Vice and Virtue: Stories of Sin and Salvation".  This section was comprised of a short (but very evocative) account of a man's visit to a dominatrix in Amsterdam; a series of short poems on cross-dressing and encounters with a pimp on a Madrid dance floor; a girl's free-association diary entry that I absolutely could not follow; a fantastic recount of a bartender's memoir that struck very close to the bone ("Drinking With Men" by Rosie Schaap); and finally an eye-opening excerpt from a journalist's adventures at a Furry Convention.  Talk about a mixed bag!

With no audience participation necessary, the Downtown Literary Festival is an excellent reminder of the talent that resides here in New York.  It's about people who are brave enough to jump into the slip-stream of this energetic city and share their talents, and their stories of survival, with the rest of us.