Monday, April 28, 2014

Black ties and red carpets

Rob Reiner
About a year ago, I dashed across the lobby of the beautiful Carlyle Hotel on the Upper East Side, and almost face-planted into the expansive chest of actor and film director Rob Reiner.  After some tongue-tied apologies on my part, Mr Reiner politely smiled down at me and disappeared into a waiting elevator.  As celebrity encounters go, that one was awkward, but it totally counted for me.

I have always loved movies and working at a video store while I was at university was the perfect part-time job for me.  So to actually meet Rob Reiner, or his chest at least, was a high point of my New York experience so far.  Because let's face it, it's not a stretch to say that Mr Reiner’s films have been enduring favourites, and rather important (to my life, at least).  Consider “When Harry Met Sally”, “Stand By Me”, and (perhaps especially) “The Princess Bride”.  See what I mean?  And they're just the first three examples I could give you.

Avery Fisher Hall
So against this backdrop, you won't think it's strange that I seized the opportunity to go along to Lincoln Center tonight and see Mr Reiner receiving his Chaplin Award.  It's an annual fundraiser (currently in its 41st year), which is hosted by the not-for-profit Film Society of Lincoln Center and it recognises exemplary service to the arts.  Previous recipients include Barbra Streisand, Alfred Hitchcock and Meryl Streep.

Quite aside from being a fan of Mr Reiner’s work, I can scarcely resist an opportunity to “frock up”, and tonight’s ceremony prescribed “cocktail attire”.  I was so in. I even managed to shoe-horn myself into the dress I wore as a bridesmaid for my sister’s wedding a couple of years ago.  I declared that it still fit – as long as I resolved to keep my cardigan on, and didn’t try and breathe too deeply!

I was also grateful to Westo for joining me – and I don’t mind admitting that our excitement about the event was compounded once we realised that they didn't use the term "star-studded" lightly.  None other than Martin Scorsese would be presenting Mr Reiner with his award.  We might have squealed at that part...

Are you waiting for me?
When the taxi pulled up at Lincoln Center tonight, I was disappointed that I didn't get to walk the red carpet that had been rolled out by the Stage Door entrance.  I could see paparazzi clearly waiting for other people to arrive (Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal, Michael Douglas, and the lovely Marty Scorsese – just to name a few).

The last time I stood in the lobby of the Avery Fisher Hall was only a few weekends ago, and back then it was filled with squealing kids and harried parents.  Tonight, the effect was totally different.  All around me, there were beautiful dresses, sparkly jewels and dapper gentlemen in well-made suits.  Sure, there were a couple of people who clearly didn't get the dress code memo, but in the main the effect was lovely.

From our seats in the Orchestra section, we had a pretty good view of the action and before long, the stars came out to laud Mr Reiner and share their stories of having worked with him, and learned from him.  These speeches were interspersed with footage from his movies, and I was really glad that the audience loved my top 3 Rob Reiner movies too - at least their applause suggested so, anyway.  Did you know that the woman who says "I'll have what she's having" in "When Harry Met Sally" is Rob Reiner's mother?  I've always loved that bit of trivia.  And at one point in the evening, Rob Reiner's father Carl was on screen to make a video tribute. You'd recognise Mr Reiner senior as Saul from Clooney's "Ocean's 11" movie franchise.  His tribute to his son was heartfelt and charming, and he was most proud of Rob's commitment to political activism and the strength of his convictions, as much as for his successful film career - it was a really nice touch.

The piece de resistance came when Marty Scorsese came out to formally bestow the Chaplin Award on his friend.  The mutual admiration was obvious, and at the end of the night we were all on our feet, giving the award recipient and all of his celebrity friends a hearty standing ovation.

As we left tonight, Westo and I declared that the Chaplin Awards was a very "New York" thing to do.  Getting all dressed up on a Monday night, to support a non-profit and congratulate a New York City native son in front of his home-town crowd; it just doesn't get any better than that.  Now if anybody needs me, I'll be re-watching "When Harry Met Sally", for the ten-thousandth time.