Tuesday, August 19, 2014

With a bagel in my belly, I'm ready for my history lesson

The impressive entrance
to the Museum of the City
of New York
If you’re only in New York for a short amount of time, you’ll want to squeeze in as much sightseeing as possible.  More often than not, this will require you to skip the sleep-ins and hit the streets early.  But don’t worry, because I’ve found a place that actually rewards such good behaviour, and you won’t want to miss it.

From 10-11am each day, early risers who visit the Museum of the City of New York are treated to a traditional New York breakfast: coffee, a bagel, and a schmear (a bit of cream cheese, butter, or jam).  This tasty treat is included in the price of your admission.

After breakfast, before you tackle the museum's collection, you can watch the new video presentation called Timescapes, which covers the history of New York in just 22 minutes, and is narrated by Stanley Tucci.  A breakfast I love, followed by a New York actor I love, talking about the history of a city that I love?  Yep, I’ll get out of bed early for that - and so should you.



The Museum of the City of New York sits across from Central Park, at the corner of Fifth Avenue and East 103rd Street, in East Harlem.  The impressive red brick building was built in 1929, funded by public donations.  The Wall Street crash delayed progress a bit, but the building opened for business in January 1932. Thirty-five years later, it was declared a NY City landmark.  Renovations completed in 2008 cost almost $30 million, but they expanded the museum’s exhibition space by over 3,000 square feet.  This was good news for the 1.5 million items in the Museum’s permanent collection – artefacts from the very beginning of New York’s history and landscape, through to the modern influences that define New York today.

One of the permanent exhibits at the Museum is the one on social activism, which opened in May 2012.  I really liked touring this exhibit and learning about the history of New Yorkers who, over the years, have fought for equality on a range of issues including electoral rights for women; occupational health and safety; fair wages; recognition of sexual orientation; and religious freedom.   For  something less serious, and for a bit of old-world bling, I couldn't resist the "Gilded New York" exhibition in the Tiffany gallery, showing me how the other half (and then some) sparkled back in the day. Such beautiful gems!

But the Museum also features a number of temporary treats, and it was these that spoiled me on my visit.   I particularly liked the "Palaces for the People" exhibition (on display until 7 September), which celebrates the clever artistry of Spanish immigrant Rafael Guastavino and his son, Rafael Jr.  The pair have been the brains and hands behind some of the most beautiful tiling work in modern times - all over the US and in Europe.  Obviously I was especially struck by their work in New York, which includes the Grand Central Oyster Bar, the City Hall subway station, and the Registry Room at Ellis Island.  

"City As Canvas"? Even the frame
is the canvas!
Finally though, I loved the "City As Canvas" graffiti exhibition, partly because I am a total sucker for colours - the brighter, the better.  That artists can create such vibrant and provocative work with just a spray can full of paint is really wonderful.  The graffiti exhibition is open until 21 September, so you need to stop by and see that one too.

I always judge a museum or art gallery by the quality of its gift shop, and I seriously think that the gift shop at the Museum of the City of New York is one of my favourites.  For books, trinkets, souvenirs, or even kids toys, this Museum has a gift shop to please everyone.  Of course, I didn't walk out empty handed on this visit.  I somehow lugged home a three-book anthology of Edith Wharton's New York stories.  There goes my social life!




If you can't get to the Museum yourself just yet, please take a look at my photo album by clicking here.