Monday, March 3, 2014

Subterranean warfare

It must be said that I am a magnet for crazy people, particularly on public transportation.  I don't know what cosmic or magnetic pheromone I emit, but it's powerful enough to bring every nutter on the subway into my carriage and right next to me.  Tonight was no exception - a woman serenaded me with her own version of "Let It Be" (and the song is now wedged in my brain), and then I was caught between two very drunk men and their suitcases on my second subway home.  Awful.

But in making sense of the NYC transit system and the humans who rely on it, I've learned that the trick is to ignore what's going on, and master an expression that blends "total indifference" with "amused acceptance".  You'll get a lot of practice at this, so don't worry if you can't get it right first time.

In addition to your everyday commuters, there are all types of people on the New York City subways:  homeless people, singers (good and bad), dancers (ditto), kids selling chocolates for school fundraisers, acrobats, and gypsy families playing the piano accordion.  You think you see everything in New York above ground?  Think again.

The lovely "New York Magazine" crew published a great article on navigating mass transit in NYC as part of their Urban Etiquette Handbook series.  It's not really a big surprise - don't put your feet on the seats; surrender your seat for a pregnant woman or the elderly, that sort of thing.

A few years ago, a New York graphic artist reached breaking point and drew up etiquette posters, beseeching the more offensive subway commuters to monitor their behaviour.  The posters have since been removed (to the city's collective cultural detriment, I feel).

Then there's this step-by-step guide to taking the subway - complete with links and pictures - that is intended (I presume) to help tourists look and feel less like tourists.  I can tell you that a lot of New Yorkers ignore about 90% of this one.

But all jokes aside, and if you're really stuck, there are helpful web pages like this one to give you the right idea.

The two best pieces of advice I can give you when navigating the NYC subway system are as follows:
  1. If the subway stops in front of you and the carriage is empty, there's a reason for it.  The smell will hit you when the doors open.  Move to a more crowded carriage and live to fight another day.
  2. Treat your subway journey like shopping on Christmas Eve:  put your pointy elbows out, and take no prisoners.

Bon voyage!