Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Day at the Museum

The weather has started to turn a bit here in New York and the forecast for today was for cooler temperatures and drizzling rain.  Perfect Museum weather!

At around 10.30am I entered the iconic American Museum of Natural History directly from the subway station (a great idea!) and I didn't leave until nearly 5pm.  Can you believe it?!

The Museum was founded in 1869 and contains around 32 million specimens.  Around 5 million visitors come here every year, and wander through 45 exhibition halls and galleries.  With my admission ticket today, I walked through the Museum's permanent collection but I also added on visits to the four temporary exhibits, Spiders Alive! (with live arachnids everywhere you look), Dark Universe (at the Planetarium), Great White Shark (an IMAX experience), and Pterosaurs: Flight in the Age of Dinosaurs (with lots of hands-on stuff for kids to try).

Some of the galleries and exhibition halls have dimmed lighting, which is totally fine in real life but it makes photography especially challenging for me.  Nevertheless, I gave my camera a pretty good workout on this visit, and you can see the fruits of those labours in the album below: