Sunday, April 6, 2014

Parks, polygons, and prosecco

When you live in a really small studio apartment in New York, you need to be ruthless about your belongings.  If clothes don't fit, or there's too much clutter, you have to get tough about it.  There's literally no room for sentimentality.

And so it was that I took a huge garbage bag full of clothes and books to my local Goodwill store this morning.  The last time I did that, a crazy man out the front threatened to stab me, though the security guard had been watching and just rolled his eyes.  I guess he says that to all the girls.  Today however, there was no such threat of violence, and so within just a few minutes I had deposited my worldly goods into the donation bin inside the store, and I was on my way.  There are loads of places like the Goodwill in New York, and they are life-saving way to get rid of stuff, but also a terrific source of inexpensive stop-gap clothing and furniture to see you through your settling-in period in the City.

Spring has definitely sprung in New York and I loved the sunny walk past the Flatiron Building this morning, and into to Madison Square Park.  It may not a private oasis, but this has always been one my favourite places to have down-time in New York.

As you can see from my photos, the trees still have some catching up to do before they're lush and green, but already the squirrels are out, digging up the nuts they had hidden during the winter, and posing genially for the cooing tourists.  The dog park and the children's playground were hugely popular, and the lines at the famous Shake Shack were typically ridiculous (but the smell of grilling meat was so good).  All around the park, visitors just like me clambered for sunny spots on the benches, to watch the world go by.


Just next door to the Park on East 26th Street is the National Museum of Mathematics.  The Museum opened in September 2012 and I only just realised it was even there.  I was always a terrible maths student of course, so I wasn't exactly looking for a place like this.  But when you walk inside, you quickly realise that this one of those off-the-beaten-path treasures of New York that inquisitive kids and adults just love.  Firstly the ticket booths are all automatic, and they spit out guest passes like ID cards that you have to wear clipped to yourself at all times.

The museum is very spacious and modern, and the exhibits are very much hands-on.  I should not have come here on my own though, partly because I looked ridiculous, but also because so much of the fun of the exhibits comes from your interaction with other people.  What is the point of playing with puzzles if you can't make jokes with others, or ask people what they did, or how things work?  Coming here on my own was a bit of a mistake, because I just felt out of place interacting with things solo.  Maybe that's my own insecurity talking, but it's certainly how I felt - and it made me just want to rush through the place rather than really take my time to explore.

Before long though I found myself back at the entrance and by the gift shop, and that's one place I never feel weird.  Indeed I judge museums and other cultural institutions by the quality of their gift shop.  And in the case of the gift shop at the Museum of Mathematics, what it lacks in size it makes up for in variety.  There are maths-themed books (for adults and kids), jewellery, clothing, and the usual kitschy key rings, postcards, and desk accessories.  I did not leave empty-handed.

All this brain strain had worked up a bit of an appetite though, so I walked north a few blocks and called into the John Dory Oyster Bar, which is part of The Ace Hotel on Broadway.  Every time I have tried to come here, the place has been packed.  But today I was lucky enough to find a colourful barstool upon which to perch and enjoy a half-dozen oysters (3 from the West Coast, and 3 from the East Cost), and a delicious bowl of spicy kedgeree, complete with tasty and flaky smoked haddock.  The ice-cold glasses of  Gotham Project prosecco didn't hurt either.

If you ever get the chance to have even a bar bite at this restaurant, you definitely should.  Their seafood is great, and so is the service.  But if time permits, you also need to head next door to the adjacent Breslin lobby bar and partake in their amazing cocktails.  Guaranteed to make you forget any inadequacies of high school maths classes, or weekend hands-on museum exhibits!